On a random trip to Best Buy my dad picked up a few movies from the $9.99 bin. When he came home he handed me an assortment of old movies, some he had seen and some he hadn't. As I sifted through them (An American in Paris, Love is a Many-Splendored Thing, Love Story) I spotted a gorgeous brunette woman in a dazzling dress and ultra-chic sunglasses - Breakfast at Tiffany's. This is when my love affair began.
I watched it out of pure curiosity. I had no idea what the story was about, who else was in it, nothing. I had no idea it was based on a Truman Capote novel, that I would later read. All I knew was the lady on the DVD box looked like someone I would love to be.
The story is about a woman, Holly, who is trying to find herself and in the process having a hard time with her identity. Really a small-town girl, Holly has made a life for herself as a city socialite however she has no money. Her personality is full of sass and spice and is the quintessential example for someone who looks together on the outside but is a total mess on the inside. Holly holds in all her frustration and all her sadness in order to portray a woman of class, style and elegance.
It's trendy to like Audrey Hepburn now but years ago it was hard to find memorabilia that featured her. She was an icon both in film and in style but she has never been just a trend to me. To me, she is a rarity in the film world and I have enjoyed every second of her screen time.
Maybe to love Breakfast at Tiffany's you have to relate to it, which I do. Maybe you have to appreciate old movie. But I honestly can't imagine why anyone would dislike it. As soon as the theme song comes on and they show the quiet streets of New York you get this feeling of Old Hollywood and as Audrey struts across the screen in the dress known round the world, every girl falls in love with Ms. Hepburn and good old New York.
No comments:
Post a Comment